Wednesday, 4 May 2016

#IWSG On My Own

It's the first Wednesday of the month ~ the day when members of the Insecure Writer's Support Group share their writing struggles and offer their encouragement and support to other members.

To sign up as a member of the IWSG, click here.

The wonderful co-hosts who are helping Alex J. Cavanaugh, IWSG's founder, are...
Stephen Tremp, M.J. Fifield, Bish Denham, Susan Gourley, Stephanie FarisFundy Blue and Loni Townsend. Do pop by their sites.

***

A few weeks back, I set something into motion that, come July, will mean something rather big shall happen...

I will no longer be a hybrid author.

Instead, everything I do will be a solely self-published proceeding. Asking for the rights back was a decision I agonised over and one that still gives me niggly butterflies of doubt on dark days. Overall, I think I took the right steps. I won't go into details of why it all happened, but suffice to say that I was hit pretty hard mentally and... Well, I hadn't had a full-blown panic attack in years, but finding myself on the end of one was almost enough to tip me over. Even thinking about it still tightens my chest, so I won't dwell too long. All I can do right now is wait and hope this has been the right choice.

Am I mildly terrified I'm setting myself up to fall on my face? Yeah, but casual anxiety has long since become a current state of being for me. But on the bright side, what with this whole ordeal, the house hasn't been this dust-free in years.

7 comments:

  1. Scary day, but a good one at the same time. I hope your freedom brings much joy and success. Lots of work ahead, but you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you can succeed! And good job with taking that step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Crystal and Loni. You did the right thing. You listened to your inner being. Being scared is normal. I should probably tell you I did the same thing. It wasn't easy. Took a while to bounce back, but I have a new publisher now. You will rise above this, Aldrea, and come out the other side happier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I say go for it. You can always change pace down the road if you need to.

    May 2016 IWSG Co-Host
    May the 4th Be With You
    Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. I truly mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casual Anxiety could be the name of a band, especially if the musicians were are also authors, like that time that Stephen King and Amy Tan played with those other guys :-)

    Still, taking charge of your own destiny is brave and big! Best of luck to you in how it all turns out!

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's brave of you to take the step. I'm a hybrid author and I like having both worlds, but I do wonder if something ever happened with my publisher if I could go solely self-published. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete