Saturday, 5 April 2014

"E" was my Equine

I make no secret of me being a big horse fan. Despite that, I haven't seriously ridden since having my daughter. But I've owned a fair few ponies and horses, the former due to outgrowing, the latter ... well, there are a lot of reasons there. Let's put them under the branching term of "not suitable".

The longest time I've ever owned a horse has been seven years and that goes to my boy, Ticket, formally known as Ticket to Ride, commonly called "E".
Boy would've been 28/29 in this picture
He was in his twenties when we got him, bought for the grand sum of $200. He'd a sway back, scarring around his throat where he'd been tied with wire, and a lump of muscle missing from his left shoulder thanks to a bull's horn.
But that didn't stop the bugger from winning half the friggin' games I took him in. If it had barrels or bending poles, they might as well have handed me that first place ribbon at the start. It got easier once I went from English to Western because ... well now ... E was an old rodeo boy. In fact, he used to cut cattle out in the paddocks for his own amusement. Usually chasing our poor pet cow.
I got tons of stories about this old fella. From dragging my winded ass home to stealing a friend's strapless bra right off her back. ^_^
We reckon he must've been pushing thirty when old age caught up to him. 2000 was one hell of a year. I was fifteen then and bawled my eyes out, still tear up now.

So here's to you, Tickey-boy. Hope you're still harassing Cowie in big ol' horse heaven.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a huge horse person too. The relationship with your horse is one you will carry with you long after they're gone. They have a way of making us always feel wanted. Thanks for sharing. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's beautiful! Sounds like a real character, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owned a horse in my teen years. What a marvelous time! Carefree and footloose (literally, to my detriment at times. I would come home from the trails with my feet carelessly out of the stirrups, "Nebraska" would get spooked by something and take off with a start, and over I'd go...) Ah, the memories! Thanks for nudging them back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that! Several times. Never learnt.
      At least it was harder to be thrown from a Western saddle than the English one I started in. ^_^

      Delete