Monday, 13 August 2012

WHAT IF ...? Fairytale Madness BlogFest!


(Otherwise Known as the "I am Evil!" Blogfest)

Have you ever noticed that by changing one detail; one event, one character trait, one thought ... you can completely alter the rest of the story?

That "what if ...?" factor is what's being utilized for this bloghop. From the 13th to the 17th, participants are to think of a well known fairytale and ask "what if…!" From there, they were to write a 300 word max Flash Fiction illustrating this new detail of the fairytale that changes everything.
It also has to fall into one of the following four categories:
Plot Twist - Judged by Cassie Mae
Love Story - Judged by Morgan Shamy
Tragedy - Judged by Leigh Covington
Comic Relief - Judged by Mark Koopmans

Now most of the fairy tales I've ever watched or read generally fall under the heading of 'Disney adaptation' or 'parody'. For this tale, at least in all the versions I've seen, the young woman in question always tends to be racing to the ball. It seemed to me that was quite a dangerous thing to do, especially if it happens to be in what used to be a pumpkin.
So here's my 'What if ...' of Cinderella. 300 words exactly and I'd say definitely falls in the Tragedy section. You didn't really expect anything else from me, did you?


The carriage bounced along the road, rushing to reach the castle in time. Sweat stained the horses' flanks, though the sun had set some time ago. Midnight would come sooner than expected. The driver cracked his whip high over their heads. Screaming, the horses took the slope at a dead run.
A wheel struck an uneven stone among the cobbles, jolting the lone woman within. She braced herself, the soles of her slippers squeaking along the floor in the struggle, and mused on how she should've known better than to ask for speed from something that'd been growing in the garden ten minutes ago.
Something under her feet gave with a bang. The carriage rose into the air. Her head smacked the roof. An elbow whacked the heavy frame of the door. They slammed back onto the road and she hit seat just as gracefully. The sharp crack of glass bespoke of a slipper breaking.
Rubbing and shaking her head, she became aware of movement being more sideways and downhill than forwards. The clatter of hooves seemed too faint. She stared out the window. The wide trunk of a tree filled her view. As she watched, helpless to stop her leisurely slide, she knew she would not live to meet her prince.
*
As with all nights, it gave itself up to the dawn, allowing warm light to be thrown over the land. People crowded round the tree to take in the peculiar, though nevertheless gory, aftermath. Slumped like a discarded doll and cradled in the shattered bits of a pumpkin laid the broken form of a young woman all clothed in rags and wearing a pair of delicately-crafted, though terribly fractured, glass slippers. The cry went up, circling to all those who cared for whatever reason.
Little Ella was dead.



Told you I was evil.
So who else is joining in the fairytale derailment? These people!

53 comments:

  1. Oh, that's horribly sad. Even worse, does that mean the poor prince had to marry one of the ugly stepsisters? *cringe*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. Or perhaps he finds someone else.
      Either way, he still gets the happy ending.

      Delete
  2. Ah-hahaha! You are so evil! I totally enjoyed this, in a horribly twisted way... lol... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same when I wrote it. 11pm brings up strange combinations of 'mwahaha!' and 'I killed her!'

      Delete
  3. As a fellow "team tragedy" writer, I loved this, so sad, and what a way to die, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about fairytales. When you go out, you go out big. ^_^

      Delete
  4. This was excellent, what a wonderfully horrible twist! :D Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ It sat in my head for days until I could find the time to write it.

      Delete
    2. I love ideas like that! :D

      Delete
  5. Ooh, that was good. Dark, but really good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ It weird, but much of my shorter stuff seems to be getting a dark edge to it.

      Delete
  6. Now that's a dark bit of writing. I particularly liked your turn of phrase for night giving itself up to dawn. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are evil! I love it though.
    It's so cool to see a fairytale end in tragedy for once. And I totally love happy endings, but this is just fun! :)
    Great entry! So glad you're on Team Tragedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more into happy endings but short fiction ... it brings out the evil in me. ^_^

      Delete
  8. Oh, score one for the dark side . . . for a moment I almost thought a glass shard would be her demise. Wicked good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark side ... ye-es, come with me and we'll destroy the fairytale endings one by one ...

      ^_^

      Delete
  9. I'm visiting from the blogfest.
    This is a real shame - poor Cinder... though I had to smile at your "she should've known better than to ask for speed from something that'd been growing in the garden ten minutes ago..." line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is we (me included) want to hurt Cinderella so? Is it jealousy? That gorgeous prince, the happily ever after? Fiction is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't aim to kill her in the beginning, but things just sort of ... naturally progressed to there as it rattled around in my head.
      I mean, how stable could a pumpkin carriage be?

      Delete
  11. Aw, poor gal! Still, more realistic than not, amiright??? ;-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the shoddy craftsmanship. There's a reason they don't make carriages outta pumpkins. ^_^

      Delete
  12. I love how deliciously dark this was, and how you told the story only through descriptive narrative, not dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can go on for ages without the characters uttering a word (which can be a bad thing). ^_^ I probably could've gone on a little more, but 300 was the limit.

      Delete
  13. Love this! As Carrie-Anne said, deliciously dark. And especially the line about she should never have asked for speed from something that had been growing in the garden ten minutes ago! Great prose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ As far as I know, pumpkins aren't known for their speed properties.
      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  14. Hey,

    I loved it... especially the line about the pumpkin being in the ground only ten minutes ago :)

    While it is slightly tragic... I mean the slipper did fracture, I think it's worthy of comedy :)

    I laughed. A lot.

    Is that bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how your laughing. I did a lot of evil giggling while writing it. So there's probably a bit of dark humour sneaking in. I'm evil, after all.

      But either way, I think smacking into a tree while in a runaway carriage and dying is more than slightly tragic.

      Delete
  15. You killed Ella! OMG! I would have done it too. Horror and dispair is a writing love of mine! LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang straight I killed Ella. Someone had to.

      Delete
  16. Terribly sad!! In the most beautifully-written way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heck of a way to go! Poor Ella :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I say I was evil? Maybe I should change that to Eeevil.
      Now where did I put my cape and curly moustache?

      Delete
  18. Evil or not, I still loved it. Very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. poor little princess not meant to be. great tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh dear. Let that be a lesson to all coachmen ogs to attach the pumpkin firmly to those micey horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. ^_^
      Although, if I remember correctly, the coachmen (at least in the Disney version) were rats. What would they know about the structural integrity of pumpkin carriages?

      Delete
  21. You are definitely evil, but I loved it. I loved the mystical take on the tale. I did Cinders too, but as a plot twist...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to have chosen Cinderella.

      Delete
  22. Oh I love this rewrite of the story excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Being evil can be fun, can't it? I went a similar route. This is a great bit of writing. Awesome description too - very vivid.

    ReplyDelete